Scary Numbers

This morning we got ready to paddle as it did not look bad despite the forecast. We checked that at 7am, XCWeather said 3 to 4 and 5 later. The sea didn’t look too bad either. After breakfast when we were ready in our drysuit we looked at the sea and it looked stormy. Our sheltered beach got big dumping waves and the sea outside was full of white horses, the wind also increased. We checked Met Inshore which said 6 to gale 8, cyclonic. And so we decided to stay.
We attached the tent and boat to the concrete as much as we could and went for  a walk. We may be ok to stay there for now, but may have to leave soon.
It was a difficult decision to make. We don’t know if it was good or bad decision. It is easier to recognise bad decision rather than the good one. The wind and sea don’t look too bad now, but who knows what’s coming later and what’s around the headland.

20120423-111236.jpg

20120423-111326.jpg

Advertisements

10NM

This morning we did not cook breakfast in attempt to be on the water early as wind seems to be weaker in early hours. First half hour it worked then wind picked up and we were fighting to cross Exmouth bay. I think today we had strongest headwind so far, probably solid 6 at times. It took us over four hours to get to Teignmouth. So now we are laying on concrete in Babbacombe Bay and looking forward to tomorrow winds.

Slow progress

Yesterday we managed to battle headwind for 9 hours today we lasted only 7 and did incredible progress of 25 km. We had all sorts of weather only headwind is not getting any weaker. Unfortunately reception is not good enough to upload short movie. Headwind’s forecasts for tomorrow, too. We will attempt to make the same distance as guys in London at Kayakathon.

The story of the dry suit continues

This morning was a happy morning for all. Michal was happy that we’re paddling again, I was happy that my dry suit was back with new neck seal, and the dry suit was probably happy, too, for being with us and not in some strangers’ work shop.
Jean-Pierre contacted Typhoon on my behalf and they offered to replace the old dry suit with a new one. They would have one ready for Monday. Unfortunately they insisted on direct swap, something I am unable to do as we need to go when we can and at the moment I live in the dry suit.
And so we said good bye to Ian and Barbara and left our temporary home in Burton Bradstock. In Lime Regis on the 11th day of wearing the dry suit I discovered a hole in it. The stitches in the top material on my knee are coming loose. It is probably that not enough material was secured in the stitching.
What to say? I hope Typhoon understands my situation and would be able to send replacement to someone who will then meet us. Let’s hope nothing else would go wrong with it, it’s still cold for non drysuit, especially if you paddle almost daily.

20120420-201502.jpg

20120420-201451.jpg

From Purbeck to South West Coast

20120416-214548.jpg

Yesterday evening when we were sitting at Kimmeridge and enjoying the evening sun, thinking about where to pitch our tent, Mark Rainsley visited us again. We were also discussing our plans for the following day. The forecast for the following few days promised strong winds and not much paddling for us. The tides to go around Portland were running early morning. There would be firing from the firing range between Kimmeridge and Lulworth cove from 9.30 am to 5pm. This combination of information did not sound good, on top of that we knew that we could get away with only one night at Kimmeridge.

In the end with the help of Mark’s presence the hard and only decisions was made. We would be getting up early, silly o’clock early, and would be paddling forever to get as far as possible to the other side. We had one little help to motivate ourselves. We were offered bed and shower at Burton Bradstock by Barbara and Ian.

And so this morning we woke up at 2.30 finished our precooked breakfast, packed and left at 4.30am, With half the stuff packed already it took us only 2 hours! The paddle was calm, the day broke and everything was peaceful. We crossed straight to the Bill, about 15NM. We got there at about 10 am! Made a short stop and continued towards Chesil Beach making another crossing, landing for a short lunch and continuing in deteriorating conditions to Burton.

Barbara and Ian were waiting on a beach giving us encouragements and then waiting again at the place of landing. Unloading and getting to their house was fast and straightforward. We had paddled for 12 hours.

20120416-214616.jpg

20120416-214623.jpg

20120416-215423.jpg

20120416-215433.jpg

20120416-215439.jpg